This is my latest DIY project: eurorack raspberry pi video player.
It consists of two modules:
- rack mounted raspberry pi with 4 USB, HDMI, ethernet, composite out, audio out and a pi camera.
- control panel with 9 buttons with LED and 3 pushbuttons
As video player software I use "pi presents gapless" https://pipresents.wordpress.com/.
Pi presents is a great software for black box interactive multi-media applications.
For now I configured only the basic functions:
- 3 buttons with LED to select the banks. Every bank has 6 videos. The videos are stored on an USB stick.
- 6 buttons with LED to play the single videos
- 1 button for pause and play
- 1 button to shut down the raspberry (hold for 5 seconds)
With this project I learned a lot:
- made my first etched pcb with cold toner transfer method
- how to make aluminum panels with toner transfer method
- linux ... still a lot to learn
Next things to do:
- implement the pi camera
- implement usb cam
- preload video files (now there is 1 second delay between button press and video start)
- sync out
- learn open frameworks to program an advanced video player with effects and video mixing
|PCB control module|
|working on raspberry rack mount|
|panel design test|
|alternative black design|
|PCB with soldered components|
|sideview control module|
|finished control module|